1.04.2015

2015 Clean & Organized Home Challenge: Week 1 Kitchen Counters and Sink

Week 1 of the challenge I talked about here and I am feeling really great about this! The first week is to tackle the kitchen countertops and sink. I am taking before pictures (and trying to be honest about it... because I am sure some of these are going to be real ugly) and after pictures so that you can see what a difference this challenge is making. I will try and follow the same structure in all my posts so it is easy for you to find what you are looking for- challenge information, before picture, steps, tips, after picture, side by side comparison (for dramatic affect). So let's get right to it...

Week 1 Kitchen Countertops and Sinks:

Before Picture:


Steps:

  1. Empty the sink. Clean ALLLL the dishes. 
  2. Put away anything on the counters that you do not use daily and/or more than four days a week. 
  3. Clean the countertops. 
  4. Clean the sink. 

Tips:

  • Try not to shove things into random drawers or other rooms because you want it to make sense. And also because at some point I would probably have to clean it up again since this challenge covers everything!
  • Setup a basket or a bin for a couple of things that you reach for often. We have our tablet, a phone charger, stamps, and a dog remote in our basket.
  • We use this scrubber and replace it every 6-8 weeks or so. 
  • I like Mrs. Meyers Countertop Spray. You could also use a vinegar water mix with a couple drops of lemon or lavender essential oil. 
  • I scrub the sink down with soap and water making sure to get the ring around the drain good. 
  • A note about the drain/garbage disposal- when you peel an orange or have lemon peels leftover then send them through the garbage disposal and it with freshen it up. :) 
  • Don't forget to clean the faucet!
  • Notice two towels? We use solid dark towels for drying hands. We use white towels for drying clean dishes. I don't like to use only one because lots of people don't clean their hands well and then use the same towel to dry clean dishes.
  • Wipe down the outlets with a Magic Eraser

After Picture:


Side by Side Comparison:



Any countertop and sink tips? I would love to hear them!

Have you joined the challenge? It's definitely not too late! Join and follow along with me as I whip this house into shape. :) Hey.. did I mention it's FREE? Yeeeah, why not??

<-Kassy->

1 comment:

  1. Love this! We are focusing on our morning routine to keep our kitchen clean.

    ReplyDelete